United Way is working with hospitality centers across the county to support quality migrant services.
El Paso, Texas has recently experienced a surge of migrants and asylum seekers. According to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, across the Southwest border there has been a 140 percent rise in apprehensions FY19 to date with El Paso itself seeing a 652 percent increase.
As the asylum seekers are processed and released, they are welcomed at various local NGO’s hospitality centers that provide them with shelter, clothing, showers, and daily meals but above all connect them with loved ones located in the U.S.
Focused on fostering volunteerism, United Way of El Paso County engaged by helping build capacity of the community’s migrant hospitality services. With our partners, we are uniting a caring community while leading efforts in the community-wide coordination and management of volunteers providing support to hospitality centers.
HOW TO BECOME INVOLVED
Support of our migrant services efforts is always welcome. Here’s how individuals can help:
Your donation is greatly appreciated and we thank you for your generosity. Your support will directly benefit the hospitality services provided by the local community. Some ways that money transforms into good:
- Transportation costs to drive asylum seekers to bus station and airport so they can travel to their sponsors
- Meal supplies to feed asylum seekers during their stay at the hospitality center and to travel with
- Personal hygiene products
- New undergarments, socks, shoelaces, and belts
- Medication for individuals needing treatment
- Cleaning supplies
Through your dedicated time not only will you undergo a rewarding experience but you will also support the effort of serving others in need. Currently, we’re seeking long-term volunteers who can serve a 2-week minimum time frame to help with:
- Sorting and organizing clothes, toiletries, food and more
- Preparing and serving meals
- Transportation drivers to transport asylum seekers to bus station and airport
- Intake procedures for the check-in & check-out at hospitality center (Spanish speakers required)
- Arranging travel with sponsors (Spanish speakers required)
- Cleaning of facilities