This past year has been nothing short of challenging. With the COVID-19 pandemic happening on the heels of a mass casualty event and a large migrant influx, our United Way was put to the test, but we continued to do what we do best: mobilize and respond. Now as we look to the future and make way for change within our organization, more than ever, we are grateful for all the work our board members have helped us accomplish.
As we welcome our new board, we want to take a moment to reflect on the work of our board members and our United Way over the past year, as we tackled the trials thrown our way. We give our thanks to these individuals who shared their time and energy with us in order to guide and support our organization during 2020. As we look to future, it’s our pleasure to announce our newly elected board officers and new board members.
Newly elected board officers:
· Board Chair – Ruben Hernandez, JPMorgan Chase Bank
· Board Chair Elect – Cynthia Conroy, WestStar
· Secretary – Elizabeth O’Hara, Texas Gas Service
· Treasurer – Roseanne de la Fuente Rueda, AT&T
· Vice Chair: Resource Development – VJ Smith, Marathon Petroleum
· Immediate Past Chair – Crystal Long, GECU
New board members:
· Rob Anderson, The Hospitals of Providence Sierra Campus
· Alejandra Chavira, El Paso Electric
· Blake Downey, Scott Hulse PC Attorneys at Law
· Uriel Posada, KINT TV Univision 26
· Giselle Smith-Johnson, WestStar
We’re thankful for all that our retiring board members have helped us accomplish. Our retiring board members include:
· Robert Moore, El Paso Matters
· Marcela Navarrete, El Paso Water
· Jerry Romero, Community Leader
· Wayne Soza, El Paso Electric
· Monica Vargas-Mahar, The Hospitals of Providence-East Campus
Our outgoing Board Chair, Crystal Long, has helped us navigate one of the most difficult years of our lifetimes. She’s been a long supporter of our United Way as well as the community at large, serving on our board and as the CEO and President of GECU. She also serves on numerous of our committees and is an esteemed Alexis de Tocqueville giver. Her work in the community will not go unnoticed and her support during these trying times is greatly appreciated.
As we continue to navigate and heal from the pandemic, we have found strength in supporting one another in our times of need, embodying the movement to Live United. And this work will be continued as we welcome our incoming Board Chair, Ruben Hernandez.
Ruben Hernandez is the Market Executive for JP Morgan/Chase bank and has also long supported our United Way. He has served on numerous of our committees as well as a giver in our esteemed Leadership Society. We look forward to all of the work we will do together over the next year to facilitate the healing and progress as the pandemic continues to subside.
Our United Way was able to accomplish important work over the past few years, but we couldn’t do it without the continuous support of our board members. Together, we truly do Live United.